AudioMoth is a low-cost, full-spectrum acoustic logger, based on the Silicon Labs Gecko processor range. Just like its namesake, AudioMoth can listen for sound from audible frequencies, well into ultrasonic frequencies. It is capable of recording uncompressed audio to micro SD card at up to 384,000 samples per second.
- EFM32 Gecko processor
- Capable of recording uncompressed audio to micro SD from 8k to 384k samples/second
- Records uncompressed WAV files to SD card
- Powered by 3 x AA batteries
- Analog MEMS microphone
- Analog pre-amplifier with adjustable gain
- Measures just 58 x 48 x 15 mm
- Configurable USB interface
- Onboard real-time clock keeps track of time in UTC
Enhancements in version 1.1.0 include;
- New indented switch, SD card connector and USB connector to better protect the switch from accidental damage and to allow for a flush fit inside cases and enclosures.
- New right-angle mounted PMOD header for expansion boards using UART.
Comes with firmware version 1.2.0 pre-installed:
- Support for long human-readable file names (e.g. 20181212_093000.WAV)
- Support for local time for file names and filesystem timestamps
- Support for reporting the firmware version number
- Improved reliability if an error occurs whilst writing to the SD card
Note that all versions of AudioMoth firmware and apps are compatible with all hardware versions.
AudioMoth is an output from a research project at the University of Southampton and the University of Oxford to develop low-cost acoustic sensors for environmental and biodiversity monitoring. The hardware design, and all associated software, is open-source and freely available. Note that AudioMoth is a prototype research tool, and is not a commercial product. As such, it comes with no warranty or guarantee that it is fit for purpose.
For more information about the AudioMoth 1.0.0 and device support, please visit the Open Acoustic Devices website.
1 x Audiomoth
1 x Micro USB Cable